Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mobile Web Development

Hi

It's been a while since I posted.  For the past month or so, I have been dabbling with developing mobile web applications.  As I always want something useful to try out anything new, I decided to take my organisation's internal processes - approvals of various requests by heads of departments and team leaders - mobile by writing a mobile friendly web application.

I tried out a couple of mobile frameworks but finally settled on jQuery Mobile.  You can check this out at http://jquerymobile.com/.

I find this an excellent work in progress library that is built on top of the super jQuery JavaScript library.

There are some who say that jQuery Mobile is not suited to development of dynamic sites - but I have found that to be not completely true.

The application I have built is completely dynamic, talks to a bunch of .ashx pages that run on our internal IIS web server and reads and updates our internal, production database in real time.

The jQuery Mobile application uses jQuery AJAX calls to ASHX (Generic Handlers) that return JSON data to display and process user actions.

Here is a screenshot of the home screen



And here is a screenshot of the page where leave applications can be approved.


While processes like leave applications may not be time critical and not really required to be available at all times but there are other time critical processes that benefit from being mobile and accessible to employees around the clock and from a device of their choice.

Try out jQuery Mobile.  It's good fun.

Cheers!

Iyer

1 comment:

  1. The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface. bootstrap 4 dashboard

    ReplyDelete